Friday, June 01, 2007

This Morning

Today was the last day of school so I took the boy to the doughnut shop to celebrate.
We had just gotten an enormous cinnamon roll for him and a boring old glazed for me when a soldier entered the shop. He was wearing the new desert camouflage with the strange digital-like print. As he stood at the register, a man greeted him and asked, "Are you going or have you been?"
"I go in March."
"Iraq?"
"Yes."
"Well, thank you and god bless you."
"Thank you."
I finished my doughnut and turned around to look for the soldier but he had left the shop with his order. I wanted to wish him luck and tell him to take care over there.
I had the sullen feeling like I had missed an opportunity & the raw sense that I had forgotten how this war has its subtle affects here back home.
Lulled into the sleepwalk again.

No comments: