I went through today trying to avoid the news. I knew the news today was nothing new - just vivid reminders of news I once watched too much of six years ago. It was hard to escape.
At school there was television projected on a wall of the President saying some obligatory thoughtful bullshit while pretending to be sad about the best damn thing that ever happened to his stupid ass! Ah, those were the days... I'm sure there was a wisp of nostalgia in it for him now that I think about it. I thumbed through a notebook and wrote, "Piss like a Hero," and then escaped back to the beautiful day here in the present.
Everything was fine until my last class when we got an assignment to write about six years ago; where we were, what we felt, & how we feel now. I answered honestly and have regretted turning in the damn paper since. Is there room yet for disgust in our feelings for that goddamned day?
I am deeply ashamed of how stupidly and cowardly my country reacted to that day.
Six years later I see that MSNBC devoted a prime time rebroadcast - as it happened - of The Today Show of that awful morning. What the fuck for?!? Jesus Christ, talk about a wisp of nostalgia...
I absolutely recognize the historic value of such a piece but there's something sick about trying to re-experience it. I was shocked to discover the Zapruder film of Kennedy's murder in Dallas was kept under lock and key until Kevin Costner & Oliver Stone saved the Republic in JFK. That stated, all I feel about that day is exploited. I saw my fears, your fears, our fears, everybodys' fears turned into a commodity of political capital. The big dividend of all that capital is still returning losses all these years later in an unrelated investment in Iraq. It is a continuing betrayal of all those who were killed or hurt six years ago today perpetuated by our government and any real fucking American should be outraged by it. But I don't count myself among real Americans anymore so I can put my blinders back on and then think how dull it would be to watch reruns of The Today Show from the 12th of September 2001.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment